Monday, November 19, 2007

First Post

I don't expect this to go anywhere quick, but for now this will just be a place for me to post up any random Marvel observations, thoughts, combos/set-ups, links, frame data-- but whatever.

Anyway, a lot of Japanese Marvel players keep "combo" blogs, or something to the effect, so I wanted to create something like that for Low Tier Marvel info. I spent a long time playing the "top tier" characters in the classic Street Fighter games, but at some point I just got tired of the same match-ups and switched to Charlie and Zangief in Alpha 3. It didn't take long after I learned Marvel during the past year or so for me to drop my first team (Duc), for a more fun squad of Gief/Tron/XX. I like the way Gief can punish anyone who plays sloppy with their rush-down strings with an instant Piledriver. Gief/Tron also gets dangerous real quick if you can play smart enough to get in close.

That's it for that; here's the real reason I wanted to get this off the ground...



The Joo Translation Project:

As a part of my training regimen, I took to investigating frame data from a Japanese source, combo video maker Joo. I learned that a few other players, namely the American combo video maker Magnetro2k (who made the incredible Dhalsim DVD) were interested in translating Joo's data (Magnetro having asked his permission) into english. Now I don't know much Japanese, but I do know enough Romaji to be able to make heads or tails of much of the technical terms used in the game, so between Magnetro's extensive knowledge of the game engine and my minimal understanding of the language, we have been making slow progress. ST guru and Japanese speaker NKI, though extremely busy, has graciously offered to help us here and there with the Japanese terminology we can't figure out.

My goal for this log is to compile a list of translations for common Marvel terminology, as well as information on the Marvel scene in Japan as it is today (apparently fledgling, but still enough interesting stuff going on here and there to check out). I'm hoping to get enough information on Japanese Marvel and Street Fighter terminology in one place that it becomes easy for the US Marvel community to learn from, and interact with the Jap. players. A little far-fetched maybe, but I know that especially in the low-tier realm, we can learn a lot from those guys. So, that's that.

If you're reading this, are into Marvel, know Japanese, and/or want to help out with the project in any way find me on AIM: ECZangief, or PM the same name on SRK. If you've got any links to Japanese Marvel videos or information, I'd also love to hear from you.




-ECZ

No comments: